Sunday, March 31, 2013

Alien creatures similar to goblins sighted at Kelly-Hopkinsville, Kentucky (USA)


The Kelly–Hopkinsville aliens encounter, also known as the Hopkinsville Goblins Case, and to a lesser extent the Kelly Green Men Case, is the name given to a series of alleged encounters with aliens beings. These were reported in the fall of 1955, being one of the most famous and well publicized which centered around a rural farmhouse at the time belonging to the Sutton family. The house was located between the hamlet of Kelly and the small city of Hopkinsville and both are in Christian County, Kentucky, in the United States. It is from these main encounters that the entire case takes its name.

Members of two families at the farmhouse allege to have seen unidentifiable creatures and other witnesses attest to having seen lights in the sky and odd sounds.

The event is regarded as one of the most significant, well known and well-documented cases in the history of UFO incidents and a favorite for study in ufology, as many others, including local policemen and state troopers got involved in the case. It was taken seriously enough as to be officially investigated by the United States Air Force. The encounter has shaped much of the narrative of the UFO tradition, including flashing lights appearing in rural areas and sightings of so-called little green men.

It is also claimed that another encounter took place with the same creatures in another part of the United States along the Ohio River a week prior to the mentioned Kentucky incident, which also had numerous witnesses. 

Overview of the Hopkinsville Case:

There were dozens of eyewitnesses to the incidents, which included two families present at the farmhouse and other civilians in the area. Some of whom had no connection to the families in that house and even one in another state. Perhaps most significant, the witnesses also included several local policemen and a state trooper who saw and heard strange phenomena such as unexplained lights in the night sky and noises the same night.

The eleven people present in the farmhouse claimed that they were terrorized by several unknown creatures, similar to gremlins, which have since often been referred to as the "Hopkinsville Goblins" in popular culture. The residents of the farmhouse described them as around three feet tall, with upright pointed ears, thin limbs (their legs were said to be almost in a state of atrophy), long arms and claw-like hands or talon. The creatures were either silvery in color, or wearing something metallic. Their movements on occasion seemed to defy gravity as they floated above the ground and appearing in high up places and they "walked" with a swaying motion as though wading through water.

Although the creatures never entered the house, they would pop up at
windows and at the doorway, frightening the children in the house to a hysterical frenzy. The families fled the farmhouse in the middle of the night and hurried to the local police station where Sheriff Russell Greenwell noted they were visibly shaken. The families returned to the farmhouse with Sheriff Greenwell and twenty officers, yet the occurrences continued. Police saw evidence of the struggle and damage to the house, as well as seeing strange lights and hearing noises themselves. The witnesses additionally claimed to have used firearms to shoot at the creatures, with little or no effect and the house and surrounding grounds were extensively damaged during the incident.

Even years later the eyewitness stories still corroborate considerably when being questioned in private, although speculation amongst the eyewitnesses regarding the motivations of the creatures has ranged from field study on their part, or that the creatures were acting out of mere curiosity or even outright malevolence. The two families involved were known locally as being the type of people that do not make up a hoax. The families obtained no financial gain or significant fame from the incident and fled the area when the incident became known locally and they gained an abundance of trespassers wanting to see the site.

UFO researcher Allan Hendry wrote, "This case is distinguished by its duration and also by the number of witnesses involved. Jerome Clark writes that, "Investigations by police, Air Force officers from nearby Fort Campbell and civilian ufologists found no evidence of a hoax". Although Blue Book never formally investigated the case, they listed it as a hoax.  

Details of the incident:
Location: Kelly-Hopkinsville, Kentucky (USA):

On the evening of Sunday, August 21, 1955, Billy Ray Taylor of Pennsylvania was visiting the Sutton family of Kentucky. The Sutton family home was a rural farmhouse located near the towns of Kelly and Hopkinsville, in Christian County, in the state of Kentucky (the farmhouse still stands today although the Sutton family moved soon after the incident). There were a total of eleven people in the house that night, including the children of the two families.

The Sutton farmhouse had no running water, which caused Billy Ray Taylor to go outside to the water pump for a drink at about 7:00 pm (19.00 hours). Taylor said he observed strange lights in the sky to the west, which he believed to be an unusual craft. He described it as disc-shaped in appearance and featured lights on its side that had "all of the colors of the rainbow". He excitedly ran back to the house telling the others about his "flying saucer" sighting, but no one believed him; instead thinking that he had become overly excited after seeing a vivid "shooting star".

At about 8:00 pm (20.00 hours), the two families began hearing strange and unexplained noises outside. The Sutton family dog, which was in the yard outside, began barking loudly and then hid under the house, where it remained until the next day. Going outside a few minutes later with their guns, Billy Ray Taylor and Elmer "Lucky" Sutton then asserted that they saw a strange creature emerge from the nearby trees.

When the creature approached to within about 20 feet (6 meters), the
two men began shooting at it, one using a shotgun, the other man using a .22 caliber rifle. There was a noise "sounding like bullets being rattled about in a metal drum". The creature, they said, then flipped over and fled into the darkness and shadows. Being sure that they had wounded the creature, Lucky and Solomon went out to look for it. As the men were stepping from the porch, a huge claw-like hand grabbed Taylor’s hair from above. They looked up and realized that one of the creatures was perched on top of the awning. Again, they shot the creature, heard the rattling noise and was knocked from the roof, although it was apparently unharmed.

Lucky and Solomon returned to the house in a disturbed state. Within
minutes, Lucky's brother, J. C. Sutton, said that he saw the same creature (or at least a similar creature) peer into a window in the home. J. C. and Solomon shot at it, breaking the window, whereupon it too flipped over and fled. The creatures could be heard loudly scurrying about on the roof and scratching as though trying to break through. For the next few hours, the witnesses asserted that the creatures repeatedly approached the home, popping up either at the doorway or at windows in an almost playful manner, only to be shot at each time they did.

The witnesses were unsure as to how many of the creatures there although in their first story they claimed that there were twelve to fifteen. At one point the witnesses shot one of the beings nearly point blank and again would insist that the sound resembled bullets striking a metal bucket. The floating creatures' legs seemed to be atrophied and nearly useless and they appeared to propel themselves with a curious hip-swaying motion, steering with their arms. It is also claimed that when the creatures were hit by gunfire in a tree or on the roof of the house, they floated. They did not fall to the ground.were; except for one sighting of two at the same time, all other sightings were of only one,

Involvement of authorities in Kentucky:

At about 11 p.m. (23.00 hours), a state highway trooper near Kelly independently reported that he had seen some unusual "meteor-like objects" flying overhead, "with a sound like artillery fire coming directly from them."

Hendry writes that Sutton family matriarch "Mrs. Lankford... counseled an end to the hostilities," noting that the creatures had never seemed to try harming anyone nor had they actually entered the house. Between appearances from the creatures, the family tried to temper the children's growing hysteria. At about 11:00 pm (23.00 hours), the Taylor and Sutton families decided to flee the farmhouse in their automobiles and after about 30 minutes, they arrived at the Hopkinsville police station. Police Chief, Russell Greenwell, judged the witnesses as being frightened by something "beyond reason, not ordinary." He also opined, "These were not the sort of people who normally ran to the police... something frightened them, something beyond their comprehension." A police officer with medical training determined that Billy Ray's pulse rate was more than twice normal.

Twenty police officers accompanied the Suttons back to the farmhouse and several entered it to assess the damage. The official response was prompt, thorough and according to the police, the witnesses were deemed sane, not under the influence of drugs or alcohol. They were in a state of terror and no one involved doubted that they had seen something far beyond their reasoning.

Police interviewed neighboring farmhouses, whose residents were also distressed and reported to the police strange lights, strange sounds and of hearing the gun battle at the Sutton farmstead. Police and photographers who visited the home saw many bullet holes, hundreds of spent shells and an odd luminous patch along a fence where one of the beings had been shot. In the woods beyond was a green light whose source could not be determined. Though the investigation was inconclusive, investigators did conclude, however, that these people were sincere, sane and that they had no interest in exploiting the case for publicity. The luminous patch on the fence, although photographed, was never collected and had mysteriously disappeared by noon the next day.

Police left at about 2:15 am (02.00 hours), and not long afterward,
the witnesses claimed that the creatures returned. Billy Ray fired at them once more, ruining yet another window. The last of the creatures was allegedly sighted just before dawn, at about 4:45 am (04.45 hours) on August 22, never to be seen again.


The Hopkinsville Goblins Case garnered massive publicity within hours of its alleged occurrence. The August 22, 1955 the newspapers "Kentucky New Era" claimed that "12 to 15 little men" had been seen. But none of the witnesses ever claimed this, rather that the observers had no idea how many of the creatures there were. They could only be certain that there were at least two because they saw that amount at the same time.

Later, on August 22, Andrew "Bud" Ledwith of WHOP radio interviewed the seven adult witnesses in two different groups. He judged their tale of the events as consistent, especially in their descriptions of the strange glowing beings. Ledwith had worked as a professional artist and sketched the creatures based on the witnesses' descriptions. These were generally consistent, though the female witnesses insisted that the creatures had a somewhat huskier build than described by the male witnesses and Billy Ray Taylor was alone in insisting that the beings had antennas. Hendry describes Ledwith's efforts as "fortunate... because the publicity soon grew so obnoxious to the Sutton family that they later simply avoided telling their story and refused to cooperate with UFO investigators, with the exception of Isabel Davis."

As reports reached the newspapers, public opinion tended to view the story as a hoax and showed only brief interest in the event. Some residents of the local community, including members of the police department, were skeptical of the Sutton's story and believed that alcohol (possibly moonshine) may have played a part in the incident, although to date no evidence has been found to support this belief. The fact that some of the witnesses worked for a carnival somehow contributed to the belief in a hoax.

The farm became a tourist attraction for a brief period, which upset the Suttons who tried to keep people away. Eventually attempting to charge people an entrance fee to discourage them. That only convinced the sightseers that the family was attempting to make money from the event and increased the public opinion that the event was a hoax. Finally, the Suttons refused all visitors and refused to further discuss their experience with anyone. To date, both family members who witnessed the event rarely talk to reporters or researchers. However, if they relate what happened, they have stubbornly stuck to their version of the event. As late as 2002, Lucky Sutton's daughter, Geraldine Hawkins, believed her father's account, stating:

"It was a serious thing to him. It happened to him. He said it happened to him. He said it wasn't funny. It was an experience he said he would never forget. It was fresh in his mind until the day he died. It was fresh in his mind like it happened yesterday. He never cracked a smile when he told the story because it happened to him and there wasn't nothing funny about it. He got pale and you could see it in his eyes. He was scared to death."

Ufologist Allen Hynek had interviews with two persons with direct knowledge of the event a year after the event took place.

In addition to Ledwith's sketches, US Army Pfc. Gary F. Hodson,
stationed at nearby Fort Campbell traveled to the Sutton farm with the help of the Hopkinsville police and sketched the creatures based on eyewitness descriptions. The "men" were described as being approximately 3 feet tall and either being silver in color or wearing silver-colored clothing that lit up or glowed when the invaders shouted to each other. All of the witnesses agreed about the appearance of the creatures.

There have been numerous books, documentaries and debates regarding the incidents although no firm conclusions have ever been established.

So-called "Possible explanation":

In 1957, U.S. Air Force Major John E. Albert concluded that the Kelly-Hopkinsville case was the result of the witnesses seeing a "monkey painted with silver that escaped from a circus", and that Mrs. Lankford's imagination had exaggerated the event. The ufologist Isabel Davis, for one rejected this explanation as not only entirely speculative, but also absurd. She stated, "Monkeys are hairy creatures, monkeys have long tails, monkeys are notorious chatterboxes and monkeys struck by bullets bleed and die... no amount of 'optical illusion' can explain a mistake of this magnitude."


In the beginning, most of the public believed the Suttons were perpetuating a hoax. But, if this was the case, what would be their reason? They made no money from the story, only accumulated debts by damaging their house. Could they have caused all these damages and problems just to get their names in the local newspapers? All of the witnesses of that strange event made sketches of what the creatures looked like. The drawings were practically identical. Almost a year later, the ufologist, Isabel Davis, investigated the case. She believed that the Suttons were telling the truth.

The famed and late American UFO investigator, Dr. J. Allen Hynek, also believed the story as related by both families. This case is still being investigated today, and there have been many books and television specials made relating to the events of that night in Kentucky.


Post a Comment


Although there have been many unexplained sightings in the town of Lajas, the situation there has been hyped by the amount of lies and exaggeration by a group of so-called, "ufologists" who ignore other areas of Puerto Rico to promote tourism in Lajas. That was evident when my wife and my daughter confronted a terrifying experience in the town of Aguada with extraterrestrials and that group of charlatans refused our plea for help. Of course, if it happened in Lajas they would have jumped on the opportunity for fame and tourism for that town. Those hoaxes and lies were approved and sanctioned by the then mayor of that town who named route 303 "The extraterrestrial route". The idea of building an "UFOport" (ovnipuerto), “la llorona sightings" and the biggest hoax of them all, "that a UFO crashed there" all this could only be found in a science fiction novel.

By Nelson C. Rivera
Read more



UFO News

中文(简体) Português English (US) Français Deutsch Italiano 日本語 한국어 Русский Español

Subscribe to this blog via →

The dancing alien

The back of United States Quarters depicting Puerto Rico

About me

Ufologist, criminal investigator, musician, artist and writer.

I worked 20 years for the New York City Department of Correction. First as a Correction Officer for 4 years, Captain for 12 years, and as a Deputy Warden for 4 years. As a law enforcement officer and supervisor, I have conducted countless of criminal investigations, some for unimaginable allegations.

On June of 2005, after my retirement, I moved to Puerto Rico with my family where my wife and my daughter faced extraordinary experiences with extraterrestrials. These alien encounters, subsequent abductions of my wife and the lack of help from so-called, "ufologists" here on the island, prompted me to become involved in the field of ufology and in the need to help others who have had similar experiences.


PRUFON, Puerto Rico UFO Network, Inc., is a nonprofit organization which conducts serious no nonsense UFO investigations. Our aim is to find the truth and answers to some of the toughest questions pertaining to UFO sightings, alien encounters and alien abductions, etc. We are not affiliated with any other ufology organization in Puerto Rico or in the world. PRUFON was founded in the city of Aguadilla, Puerto Rico on September of 2009 to share with the public what we have accomplished and researched in the related fields of ufology.

This internet network ( offers a different perspective on life, and works hard to keep you informed about unexplained phenomena occurring on the island of Puerto Rico and in the Caribbean. We collect and gather information dealing with the Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs) and other unusual events that the mainstream news media and science fail to expose to the public, fail to study or acknowledge.

Any unusual encounter or sighting that you have had and wish an investigation and/or wish to publish it on this website, contact PRUFON at You will remain anonymous if you state it in writing.

back to top

Go up