Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Kingman, Arizona UFO crash

During the spring of 1953, the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) and the Department of Defense conducted a series of nuclear weapons tests at the Nevada Test Site (USA). This series of tests was called Operation Upshot-Knothole, in the barren desert areas known as Yucca Flats and Frenchman Flats. The purpose was to test an atomic cannon which fired nuclear artillery shells over an area in the desert constructed with fake people and houses.

Arthur G. Stansel, a mechanical engineer, was employed by the Air Force Materiel Command (AFMC) at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio to test aircraft engines for the U.S. Air Force. He was loaned out to the Atomic Energy Commission and was designated as a project engineer to partake in Operation Upshot-Knothole at the Nevada Test Site. His functions there were to inspect the effects of the atomic blast shot by the atomic cannon, such as the impact force at various speeds on various objects, materials, structures and buildings. He had even developed his own techniques for such analyzes.

Stansel never had the chance to make the tenth test, scheduled for May 21, because fate reserved him an unexpected event in his life that day. Arthur Stansel entered that day a new reality of cosmic proportions... and his life has never been the same ever since.

Below is Arthur Stansel’s account of the Kingman UFO crash when Raymond E. Fowler, a respected UFO researcher, interviewed him on May 16, 1973. 

"I was project engineer on an Air Force contract with the Atomic Energy Commission for 'Operation Upshot-Knothole.' My job involved the measuring of blast effects on various types of buildings especially erected for the tests.

"On May 20, 1953, I worked most of the day at Frenchman Flat. In the evening, I received a phone call from the test director, Dr. Ed Doll, informing me that I was to go on a special job the next day. On the following day, around 4:30 P.M., I reported for special duty and was driven to Indian Springs Air Force Base near the proving ground where I joined about fifteen other specialists.

"We were told to leave all valuables in the custody of the military police. I gave them my wallet, watch, pen and other things I don't remember. We were then put on a military airplane and flown to Phoenix. We were not allowed to fraternize.

"There, we were put on a bus with other personnel who were already there. The bus windows were all blacked out, so that we couldn't see where we were going. We rode for an estimated four hours. I think we were in the area of Kingman, Arizona, which is northwest of Phoenix and not too far from the Atomic Proving Ground in Nevada. During the bus trip, we were told by an Air Force full-Colonel, that a super-secret Air Force Vehicle had crashed and that since we were all specialists in certain fields, we were to investigate the crash in terms of our own specialty and nothing more.

"Finally, the bus stopped and we disembarked one at a time as our names were called, and escorted by military police to the area that we were to inspect. Two spotlights were centered on the crashed object, which was ringed with guards. The lights were so bright that it was impossible to see the surrounding area. The object was oval and looked like two deep saucers, one inverted upon the other. It was about thirty feet in diameter with convex surfaces, top and bottom. These surfaces were about twenty feet in diameter. Part of the object had sunk into the ground. It was constructed of a dull silver metal like brushed aluminum. The metal was darker where the saucer "lips" formed a rim, around which were what looked like slots. A curved open hatch door was located on the leading end and was vertically lowered. There was a light coming from inside, but it could have been installed by the Air Force.

"My particular job was to determine from the angle and the depth of impact into the sand, how fast the vehicle's forward and vertical velocities were at the time of impact. The impact had forced the vehicle approximately twenty inches into the sand. There was no landing gear. There also were no marks or dents, that I can remember, on the surface--not even scratches. Questions asked, having nothing to do with our own special areas, were not answered.

"An armed military policeman guarded a tent pitched nearby. I managed to glance inside at one point and saw the dead body of a four-foot human-like creature in a silver metallic-looking suit. The skin on its face was dark brown. This may have been caused by exposure to our atmosphere. It had a metallic skullcap device on its head.

"As soon as each person finished his task, he was interviewed over a tape recorder and escorted back to the bus. On the way, I managed to talk briefly with someone else who told me that he had glanced inside the object and saw two swivel-like seats as well as instruments and displays. An airman, noticing us talking together, separated us and warned us not to talk with each other.

"After we all returned to the bus, the Air Force Colonel in charge had us raise our right hands and take an oath not to reveal what we had experienced. I was instructed to write my report in longhand and not to type or reproduce it. A telephone number was given me to call when the report was complete. I called the number and an airman picked up the report. I had never met nor talked with any of the investigating party. They were not known to me, although I think I recognized two officers' faces. One was from Griffiss Air Force Base at Rome, New York, and the other was involved with an Air Force Special Weapons Group based at Albuquerque. I later saw and recognized the Colonel-in-charge in a movie concerning Project Bluebook."

Who was Arthur G. Stansel?:

Now, who was Arthur G. Stansel, and more so, why was he commissioned to carry out such an analysis? On this, we must say that Mr. Stansel was not just any ordinary witness to an extraordinary event. He was a well-respected professional as noted below:

Arthur G. Stansel was born on November 6, 1924 in Dayton Ohio. During World War II, he served with the United States Army in the European Theater where he was wounded several times including at the D-day invasion of Normandy, France and at the Battle of the Bulge. He was a three-time Purple Heart recipient. He then attended Miami University of Ohio where he graduated in 1948 with a degree in Math and Physics. He also obtained a Master’s Degree in Diesel Engineering at North Carolina State.

Between June 1949 and January 1960 Stansel held several engineering and management positions at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio. During the period in which the incident took place, he worked within what was known as the Air Force Materiel Command (AFMC), within the Office of Special Studies. There he was also involved on many historical programs, including certain aspects of the famous Manhattan Project. His special ties at that particular time included the engineering design of Air Force engine test cells, development techniques for determining blast effects on buildings and structures. Stansel also contributed to the study and design of aircraft landing systems. This task took him to Greenland and the South Pole. He worked his way up to become chief of alighting devices within the aircraft laboratory, Wright Air Development Center, which position led him up to management positions at Wright-Patterson.

Wright-Patterson AFB loaned him out to the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC), for a special assignment at the atomic proving ground in Nevada. Among his assignments there, was a study of the effects of atomic blast on structures especially during Operation Upshot-Knothole at the Nevada Test Site. In this assignment, he witnessed several experimental atomic blasts at close range when an atomic cannon fired nuclear artillery shells where buildings were constructed for such tests.

At the time of his UFO experience, he and other specialists in different fields were assigned to investigate a so-called "super-secret Air Force vehicle" that had crashed and were ordered to investigate the crash in terms of their own specialty and nothing more. His particular assignment was to determine from the angle and the depth of impact into the sand, how fast the vehicle's forward and vertical velocities were at the time of impact.

In later years, he worked at a variety of civilian engineering companies involved with defense contracts in New York City and New Jersey.  He came to New England in the 1960's as an employee of Raytheon Corporation in Bedford, Massachusetts. His interesting and varied career in science and engineering continued and the next twelve years were spent as principal engineer of Raytheon's Apollo space program and 15 years as program manager for GTE Sylvania's Apollo software support. He retired from GTE Sylvania in Needham in 1987 and moved to New Ipswich, New Hampshire where he passed away on December 3, 2006 at the age of 82.

Stansel signs a sworn affidavit:

Years later, Stansel signed a sworn affidavit to Fowler with his statements, but this time added other important details that he had omitted before. The affidavit also revealed the following:

"I, Arthur G. Stansel, do solemnly swear that during a special assignment with the U.S. Air Force on May 21, 1953, I assisted in the investigation of a crashed unknown object in the vicinity of Kingman, Arizona.

"The object was constructed of an unfamiliar metal which resembled brushed aluminum. It had impacted 20 inches into the sand without any sign of structural damage. It was oval and about 30 feet in diameter. An entranceway hatch had been vertically lowered and opened. It was about 3½ feet high and 1½ feet wide. I was able to talk briefly with someone on the team who did look inside only briefly. He saw 2 swivel seats, an oval cabin, and a lot of instruments and displays.

"A tent pitched near the object sheltered the dead remains of the only occupant of the craft. It was about 4 feet tall, dark brown complexion and had 2 eyes, 2 nostrils, 2 ears, and a small round mouth. It was clothed in a silvery metallic suit and wore a skullcap of the same type material. It wore no face covering or helmet.

"I certify that the above statement is true by affixing my signature to this document this day of June 7, 1973."

See a copy of the actual document below:

                                          Above: Arthur Stansel’s signed affidavit:

Along with the statements with the new information, Stansel handed over to Fowler a sketch of the UFO as he had seen it and another drawing with the scene of the crash as he remembered it.  He also gave him two photocopy pages of his personal diary where he annotated the occurrences of May 20 and 21 of 1953, which he had kept as a reminder.

Originally, Raymond E. Fowler identified Stansel in his report to the organization known as NICAP (National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena) and in his book "Casebook of a UFO Investigator" under the pseudonym of "Fritz Werner", although the real name of the scientist appeared in the NICAP report. Fowler stated, "In 1973, I came even closer to documenting the reality of crashed UFOs, with a signed affidavit from an alleged member of the USAF investigating team! He must remain anonymous; I've dubbed him Fritz Werner" (his real name is Arthur Stansel).

With this information, a researcher named Harry Lebelson and a producer of the "ABC Network News", John Fielding, communicated with Raymond E. Fowler and eventually with Arthur Stansel himself, who kindly allowed the filming of an extensive interview where he revealed all he knew about the facts of the UFO crash at Kingman, Arizona.

Everything that Stansel revealed was of enormous importance for UFO research, but could it be proven, can it be corroborated or were there alternate witnesses of the event?

Apparent corroborations:

In an interview made ​​by Harry Lebelson in November of 1990, Mr. Bill Beers, a pilot for 20 years, a newspaper reporter and a onetime skeptic who previously had scoffed at stories of UFOs, declared the following:

"In 1953, I was a writer for the Arizona Prescott Evening Courier newspaper. The incident that I reported described my sighting of flying saucers at about 11:00 am, on May 21, 1953.

"At the time I was president of the sportsmen’s club and it held a fishing competition for children the day before the sighting.

"The Game and Fish Commission had prepared for the competition in a creek about 20 miles (32 km) from Prescott. The club had a stipulation agreed with the owners of the properties that we would clean up everything at the end of the event. I went to the area with two friends, Ray Temple, a post-office employee, and O. Ed Olson to see if the commission that’s supposed to clean had completed its work. After we checked the area, Temple decided to assemble a fishing rod. He lifted the rod to align the guides and as he looked at them told me, 'you're a pilot, what is that?'  I looked up to sky and said, 'They're just seagulls.' He commented, ' Seagulls? No, man! Look again!'  Then I looked and saw that they were not seagulls. They were eight white discs. They hopped as if someone was manipulating them. I watched them for a long time, and then one after another, quickly passed by like lightning and out of sight. Without knowing the size of the objects, it is difficult to say at what height they were. I guess they were at an altitude of about 10,000 feet in the air."  

"When I returned, I reported the incident to the authorities. Soon afterward, about a week or two, someone from the mountain club reported seeing a huge cigar-shaped object in the area."

The three men said that two of the discs remained stationary and seemed to be serving as guard while the six other discs maneuvered around in a manner that could not be duplicated by a plane. After performing for a full hour, the eight discs took off one after another toward Prescott.

Since Beers was a writer for the Prescott Evening Courier newspaper, he wrote about the sighting, which appeared, on the front-page as "Flying Saucers Return to Prescott." (See the picture of the paper to the left)

The Prescott Evening Courier newspaper quoted Beers as saying:

"The six craft swooped around in formation, broke formation, peeled-off, and shot directly up and down in a manner that could not be duplicated by a plane. When they moved, they varied from very slow to speeds faster than a jet plane.

"I'm more than convinced that what we saw was some sort of spacecraft unknown to the public, for no aircraft could act like the discs we saw."

Beers stated that it was pretty well common knowledge in those parts that a UFO did crash in May 1953 at Kingman, Arizona. A Colonel from Wright-Patterson AFB had come to Prescott after that sighting and tried to convince Beers that he did not see UFOs.

On July 1990, Frank Herrmann meanwhile declared that:
"This guy, Lloyd Hoffman, told me that he had seen a large round saucer-like object crash in the desert near Kingman, Arizona. This was in 1953. He was looking at the landscape at that time in a place called Dutch Flats.

"He said: 'I was standing and that thing, this huge round object, saucer-shaped, fell on its edge and crashed in a region on the west side of the Hualapai Mountains.' He said he had reported the incident and shortly thereafter, military personnel closed the area and blocked its access. There had been before auxiliary airports on the northeast side of the road. It occurred above one of them in a region that is a short distance from Yucca Road, which goes towards Alamo Road. The place is to the east. In 1976, I saw the place where it crashed when Hoffman showed it to me.  We both carried metal detectors, but we did not find fragments of anything. I guess that it had been a long time."

Other information arose from subsequent investigations. But in 1991, a confidential informant, a former military man, offered a very important piece of evidence about the Kingman events of 1953, a document that he received years earlier, from a two star general in Anaheim, California.

The general, an acquaintance of his, assured that he was in charge of operations that retrieved crashed UFOs, and gave him a sketch that he made of an alleged extraterrestrial creature taken from a flying saucer that crashed in Kingman. The sketch was a copy of 8.5" (21.59 cm) x 11" (27.94 cm) from a drawing made by a military man at the scene, and apparently showed the being removed from the craft.

Other witness reports:

Another story supporting the crash near Kingman came to UFO researcher Len Stringfield in 1977. A man who was in the National Guard at Wright-Patterson, claimed that he was witness to a delivery from a 'crash site in Arizona' in 1953. He said that three bodies had been recovered and were packed in dry ice, 4 foot tall, large heads and brownish skin.

Since then several other witnesses have come forward, but no detailed information yet had been made public:

A man who said that his father had told him the story as a deathbed confession reported an almost identical story to researcher Charles Wilhelm in 1966.

In 1995, a man who went by the code name of Jarod-2 contacted the Internet publication "The Groom Lake Desert Rat" ( and told them that he had worked for the U.S. Air Force on a secret project that was an attempt to build a flying saucer simulator. The project had started at the end of the 1940s and had collected material from the crash sites at Roswell and Kingman.

Details described in the sketch:

Arthur G. Stansel made sketches of the alien and the craft he witnessed, including a series of annotations that he wrote on both sides (see the drawing to the left). I rewrote the annotations herein so it can be clearly read:

Head relatively large to body anatomy.
Apparent injury to top of head.
Rigor mortis of eyelid structures.
Head injury apparently has made it difficult to examine eyes.
Discoloration on top of head and left cheek area.
Viscous fluid exudate from small nasal orifice.  
Eyes extremely large.
Elliptical-shaped pupil barely visible.
Eyes are around both sides of head.
Neck structure extremely loose.
Possibly broken.
No ear lobes or outer ear structures except for ear crease.
Dark and discolored around left ear area.
Apparent discoloration and injury to left shoulder area.

Possible supernumary (not in dictionary) digit webbing on hands.
Mobile, but less dense than foot webbing.

Bulbous sexual organs, extremely small.
Outer garments removed were extremely odorous.
Outside temperature: 94.50° F.
Length of corpse: 3' 10.75"
Approximate height weight: 33.50 lbs.
Superficial body temperature: 87.40° F.
Extreme discoloration of knee areas teeth not visible.
Superficial skin structure more durable.

Dried and some moist area around groin and buttock area.
Odorous and darker than nasal exudate.
 Nails/craw-like structures extremely sharp.
No superficial musculature.
Superficial hair, extremely fine like peach fuzz, above wrist area and pubic area.
Areas of injuries show edema and varying degrees of bruising.
Cannot ascertain normal skin tone.
Skin tone varied from grayish-white to light brown.
Kneecaps and elbows slightly paler.


Raymond E. Fowler made several checks as to the integrity of Arthur G. Stansel and everyone who knew him said that he was a man of considerable integrity and scientific ability. He was an honorable man who had nothing to gain from making up stories of flying saucers and alien beings. As a scientist and engineer, he has worked for some of the most significant military projects during the Cold War and had multiple witnesses that later did come forward to substantiate his extraordinary experience at Kingman. I find it a coincidence that the crash occurred not far from a nuclear testing site as in the case of Roswell, which was not far from the first nuclear detonation in New Mexico.

The description of the being that died in the Kingman UFO crash is similar to other alleged UFO crashes in the United States, such as the case of Roswell, New Mexico or New Laredo in Texas. In all of them references are made of beings of about three to four feet tall, with large heads and large almond eyes, and of course, extremely pale skin.

Although UFOs technology is very advanced, these craft suffer defects and damages and the occupants are not invincible, they are as mortal and fallible as we are.

Based on the numerous UFO crashes, we must adhere to the fact that these space beings are not gods and are immortals. Their spacecraft are as fallible and as destructible as our own aircraft. If they someday, try to invade the Earth we are now aware that their spacecraft can be destroyed and they can be killed and perhaps defeated.  Of course, we do not know what kind of weapons they may possess being that they’re more advanced than we are.



This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment


Although there have been many unexplained sightings in the town of Lajas, the situation there has been hyped by the amount of lies and exaggeration by a group of so-called, "ufologists" who ignore other areas of Puerto Rico to promote tourism in Lajas. That was evident when my wife and my daughter confronted a terrifying experience in the town of Aguada with extraterrestrials and that group of charlatans refused our plea for help. Of course, if it happened in Lajas they would have jumped on the opportunity for fame and tourism for that town. Those hoaxes and lies were approved and sanctioned by the then mayor of that town who named route 303 "The extraterrestrial route". The idea of building an "UFOport" (ovnipuerto), “la llorona sightings" and the biggest hoax of them all, "that a UFO crashed there" all this could only be found in a science fiction novel.

By Nelson C. Rivera
Read more



UFO News

中文(简体) Português English (US) Français Deutsch Italiano 日本語 한국어 Русский Español

Subscribe to this blog via →

The dancing alien

The back of United States Quarters depicting Puerto Rico

About me

Ufologist, criminal investigator, musician, artist and writer.

I worked 20 years for the New York City Department of Correction. First as a Correction Officer for 4 years, Captain for 12 years, and as a Deputy Warden for 4 years. As a law enforcement officer and supervisor, I have conducted countless of criminal investigations, some for unimaginable allegations.

On June of 2005, after my retirement, I moved to Puerto Rico with my family where my wife and my daughter faced extraordinary experiences with extraterrestrials. These alien encounters, subsequent abductions of my wife and the lack of help from so-called, "ufologists" here on the island, prompted me to become involved in the field of ufology and in the need to help others who have had similar experiences.


PRUFON, Puerto Rico UFO Network, Inc., is a nonprofit organization which conducts serious no nonsense UFO investigations. Our aim is to find the truth and answers to some of the toughest questions pertaining to UFO sightings, alien encounters and alien abductions, etc. We are not affiliated with any other ufology organization in Puerto Rico or in the world. PRUFON was founded in the city of Aguadilla, Puerto Rico on September of 2009 to share with the public what we have accomplished and researched in the related fields of ufology.

This internet network ( offers a different perspective on life, and works hard to keep you informed about unexplained phenomena occurring on the island of Puerto Rico and in the Caribbean. We collect and gather information dealing with the Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs) and other unusual events that the mainstream news media and science fail to expose to the public, fail to study or acknowledge.

Any unusual encounter or sighting that you have had and wish an investigation and/or wish to publish it on this website, contact PRUFON at You will remain anonymous if you state it in writing.

back to top

Go up