Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The alien abduction of police officer Herbert Schirmer


Whether you believe it or not, the following story is a fascinating one. Perhaps one day the governments of the world will tell us what they know... if they know. But we should adhere to the fact that there are many UFO and alien encounters observed by credible eyewitnesses of different professions around the world e.g., fighter pilots, commercial pilots, military personnel, former presidents, astronomers, astronauts, and yes, by police officers like Herbert Schirmer. This abduction is considered alongside officer Lonnie Zamora's case of Socorro, New Mexico of 1964, as a major UFO encounter by a seasoned law enforcement officer whose credibility should not be denied.

The story according to officer Schirmer:

On December 3, 1967, at about 2:20 am, near Ashland, Nebraska (USA), 22-year-old police sergeant Herbert Schirmer, was making his normal patrol rounds and went to check on two gas stations. When he left, he proceeded onto the highway and radioed the sheriff’s office to tell them that everything was all secure.

At approximately 2:30 am, while putting the mike down, he noticed some flashing red lights directly in front of him on the intersection of highways 6 and 63. Since the lights were a mere six to eight feet above the road, he thought that they were red lights atop a large truck.

However, as he approached on highway 63 for a closer look, and when he shone his high beams on it from about 50 yards away, the lights started to slowly ascent to about 40 feet, making a siren kind of noise and issuing an orangey flame-like display from beneath it. 

At this point, he realized that it was no truck but a disk-shaped object with a polished aluminum surface and with a type of catwalk going around it.  The flashing red lights seemed to be radiating through what Schirmer described as "portholes" circling the craft.  Sticking his head out the window, Sgt. Schirmer watched the UFO pass nearly overhead. Then suddenly it shot up and out of sight.

Believe it or not!:

Schirmer then got out of the police car and, with a flashlight in hand, inspected the surface of the road where the object had hovered so low to the ground. After this, he drove to the police station and wrote in the logbook, "Saw a flying saucer at the junction of highways 6 and 63. Believe it or not!"

He was puzzled to notice that it was now 3:00 am, as the sighting seemingly lasted no more than ten minutes. As the morning wore on, Schirmer was to suffer a headache, a "weird buzzing" in his head, and would discover that he had a "red welt" on his neck. It was about two inches long and about half an inch wide, and was located on the "nerve cord" below his left ear.

A few hours later, Chief Bill Wlaskin would visit the alleged encounter site and find a small metallic artifact. Chemical analysis revealed it was composed of iron and silicon. Investigators from the Condon Committee speculated that it was probably "ordinary corroded earthly waste."

The Condon Committee investigates:

The Condon Committee, located at the University of Colorado, which investigated UFO sightings at the time, heard of Schirmer's sighting, and requested that he come to Boulder, Colorado. On February 13, 1968, Schirmer would undergo hypnotic regression, administered by psychologist Dr. Leo Sprinkle of the University of Wyoming.

Schirmer relates his encounter through hypnosis:

During the hypnotic regression session, Schirmer would bring out many new details that he had suppressed. He explained that as he neared the UFO, the engine in his police cruiser stalled, then there was a white flash; a type of blurry white object emerged from the UFO that came over to the patrol car, pulled the car and him to the left side of the road and up a hill. This object kept Schirmer from drawing his firearm. He tried to call the sheriff's office but his radio was dead. 

Then he saw the UFO come back down to land and a hatch beneath the craft came open with a red-orange glow radiating from the inside.

He said, "It was then that a shape of a man came out and walked over to the front of the patrol car holding an object in both hands. At this time, I was stunned and shocked. I just sat there without being able to move in fear.

"Then a second man came out of the craft and walked over to the patrol car also. The first man stood in front of the patrol car holding the small oval shaped object and pressed something on it. A green mist came out, spraying all over the patrol car. I was immobilized looking straight ahead; I couldn’t even move my head. The other man walked over to the driver's side of the patrol car, reached inside and pressed a silver object against my neck, directly under my left ear. I felt a tingling sensation go through my whole body."

The alien then stepped back, stretched out his arm and opened the car door. Schirmer exited the vehicle and the alien asked, "Are you the watchman of this town?" Schirmer answered, "Yes sir, I am." He spoke again, "Watchman, come with me." As they started moving toward the spacecraft, Schirmer said that he felt as if he were walking on air.

They power their craft through electric power lines:

He continued relating that once inside the spacecraft, the leader repeated, "come with me, watchman." The gray-white skinned alien gave him a tour and explained how the craft operated, showed him the power source and computers onboard, and answered questions on the purpose of their mission on Earth.

Other facts recalled by the police officer were that the beings from the ship were friendly, that they had been observing us for a long time and that they powered their UFO through the electric power lines. They also told Schirmer that they had a base of operation on the planet Venus.

The leader explained to Schirmer that the craft had landed to extract power from a nearby hydroelectric transmission line because their craft operates on "electrical reversible magnetism". The leader said, "Look watchman." Then Schirmer looked outside through a porthole and saw a blue bolt of light hit the transformer on a power pole approximately 200 feet from the craft. There was a bright flash of fire and the blue bolt came back to the craft.

The leader stated, "Watchman come with me." He was escorted down the ramp and once outside the other being started walking up the ramp towards the spacecraft and boards it. The commander of the spacecraft escorted him to his patrol car, they stopped, looked at each other and then the leader turned around and headed back to the UFO.

The catwalk thing started spinning, the lights started flashing on and off, a red orange glow came out from beneath it and started lifting up in the air. When it got to about 100 feet high, it shot straight up and disappeared out of sight. 

The aliens' descriptions:

The entities were described about 4½ to 5 feet tall, had slightly slanted "catlike" eyes that didn’t blink, gray-white skin, long and thin heads, with flat noses and slit-like mouths. They wore silver-gray uniforms, gloves, and helmets, which had a small antenna on the left side around their ear. One curious fact is that the aliens were described as wearing an emblem on their left breasts of their uniform, similar to the winged serpents that have appeared in mythology around the world. Schirmer had the impression that the small antennas were for communicating mentally with him somehow.

The Condon Committee concluded that, "Evaluation of psychological assessment tests, the lack of any evidence, and interviews with the patrol officer, left project staff with no confidence that the trooper's reported UFO experience was physically real." However, psychologist Dr. Sprinkle (the one who hypnotized him) reasoned that officer Schirmer "believed in the reality of the events he described."

Schirmer’s personal problems:

When Schirmer returned to his duties in Ashland, Police Chief Wlaskin resigned, and Shirmer was appointed as the new police chief. But when the townspeople ridiculed Schirmer because of his UFO experience, they hanged him in effigy as an expression that they didn't believe him. His tires were slashed, and then a windshield was broken on his car. Subsequently his personal automobile was exploded with dynamite. To exacerbate his misfortune, his wife left him.

He stated, "I would give somebody a traffic ticket and they would look at me and laugh, and tear up the ticket. What could I do?" Schirmer stated in an interview at his home.

Due to that, he was unable to rightfully perform his duties and resigned two months later. But despite the ridicule and the misfortune, Schirmer has stubbornly stuck to his story since 1967 and feels he is ready to tell it to the world no matter what.

Looking for relief from his psychological problems, he would undergo more hypnotic regressions on June of 1968. Hypnotist Loring G. Williams conducted the sessions, which would reveal many more details of his encounter with the UFO. There would be two books written about his experiences, "Gods, Demons, and Space Chariots" and "Gods and Devils from Outer Space" by Eric Norman.


Officer Schirmer endured a sad experience. Is it better to keep quiet when one sees a UFO and/or its occupants? Many people who have gone through a similar experience had to live with it all their lives for fear of being ridiculed. In the case of officer Schirmer, as a public servant had to report what he saw, therefore had to log it in the logbook at his headquarters.

But sadly the town residents aggressively did not believed him, which caused him to resign from his job. In the 1950's and 1960's, when "Flying Saucers" were beginning to be known, there were a lot more skepticism than today. Since those early years, a great number of professionals and reliable eyewitnesses have been involved in the sightings, and with the advent of computers, the Internet and videos movies etc., much more evidence of their existence has been disclosed.

Please note: These UFO occupants were described something like the beings encountered by Filiberto Cardenas in Florida (USA) in 1979. The aliens wore tight-fitted silvery bluish-white one-piece suits covering everything except the face. He observed an emblem worn on the right side of the chest with an “X” lying down with a raised serpent in the center. They also wore a button-like earphone on the right ear with a small antenna protruding from the top. You can read about Filiberto Cardenas' encounter here.


Post a Comment


Although there have been many unexplained sightings in the town of Lajas, the situation there has been hyped by the amount of lies and exaggeration by a group of so-called, "ufologists" who ignore other areas of Puerto Rico to promote tourism in Lajas. That was evident when my wife and my daughter confronted a terrifying experience in the town of Aguada with extraterrestrials and that group of charlatans refused our plea for help. Of course, if it happened in Lajas they would have jumped on the opportunity for fame and tourism for that town. Those hoaxes and lies were approved and sanctioned by the then mayor of that town who named route 303 "The extraterrestrial route". The idea of building an "UFOport" (ovnipuerto), “la llorona sightings" and the biggest hoax of them all, "that a UFO crashed there" all this could only be found in a science fiction novel.

By Nelson C. Rivera
Read more



UFO News

中文(简体) Português English (US) Français Deutsch Italiano 日本語 한국어 Русский Español

Subscribe to this blog via →

The dancing alien

The back of United States Quarters depicting Puerto Rico

About me

Ufologist, criminal investigator, musician, artist and writer.

I worked 20 years for the New York City Department of Correction. First as a Correction Officer for 4 years, Captain for 12 years, and as a Deputy Warden for 4 years. As a law enforcement officer and supervisor, I have conducted countless of criminal investigations, some for unimaginable allegations.

On June of 2005, after my retirement, I moved to Puerto Rico with my family where my wife and my daughter faced extraordinary experiences with extraterrestrials. These alien encounters, subsequent abductions of my wife and the lack of help from so-called, "ufologists" here on the island, prompted me to become involved in the field of ufology and in the need to help others who have had similar experiences.


PRUFON, Puerto Rico UFO Network, Inc., is a nonprofit organization which conducts serious no nonsense UFO investigations. Our aim is to find the truth and answers to some of the toughest questions pertaining to UFO sightings, alien encounters and alien abductions, etc. We are not affiliated with any other ufology organization in Puerto Rico or in the world. PRUFON was founded in the city of Aguadilla, Puerto Rico on September of 2009 to share with the public what we have accomplished and researched in the related fields of ufology.

This internet network (PRUFON.com) offers a different perspective on life, and works hard to keep you informed about unexplained phenomena occurring on the island of Puerto Rico and in the Caribbean. We collect and gather information dealing with the Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs) and other unusual events that the mainstream news media and science fail to expose to the public, fail to study or acknowledge.

Any unusual encounter or sighting that you have had and wish an investigation and/or wish to publish it on this website, contact PRUFON at prufon@gmail.com. You will remain anonymous if you state it in writing.

back to top

Go up