Friday, September 24, 2010

UFO Incident of the Spanish Canary Islands

Summary of Events:

There were extremely intensive waves of UFO sightings in the Spanish Canary Islands in 1976. But the most notable UFO event occurred on June 22, 1976 when highly unusual sightings were witnessed and reported by several thousand people, including both civilians and military personnel. These sightings lasted for over 40 minutes from multiple locations on the islands of Tenerife, La Palma, La Gomera, Gran Canaria and by a ship at sea. It is one of the few accounts to include details of the occupants inside a UFO. The official report on the incident, by the Spanish air force, was declassified in June 1994, but much of its content had already been released to the public in 1977, after journalist and UFO researcher J. J. Benitez obtained a number of military files and used them as the basis of a book on UFO cases.

The sighting from a naval vessel:

The UFO encounter actually began with an armed Navy escort vessel, “The Atrevida”. The ship was three and one-half miles off the coast of Fuerteventura Island. At 9:27 pm (21:27 hrs.), the entire crew observed an extremely intense yellow-blue light which was coming from the shore in the direction of the ship. Several crewmen at first thought they were seeing a conventional aircraft with its landing lights on. The lights soon faded and a type of beam began to rotate, similar to a lighthouse effect. Upon further analysis, they noted that the object did not return a radar signature.

The actual transcript of the captain’s log (translated):

“At 21:27 hrs., on 22 June, we saw an intense yellowish-bluish light moving out from the shore towards our position. At first we thought it was an aircraft with its landing lights on. Then, when the light had attained a certain elevation (15 - 18 degrees), it became stationary.

The original light went out and a luminous beam from it began to rotate. It remained like this for approximately two minutes. Then an intense great halo of yellowish and bluish light developed, and remained in the same position for 40 minutes, even though the original phenomenon was no longer visible.

Two minutes after the great halo, the light split into two parts, the smaller part being beneath, in the center of the luminous halo, where a blue cloud appeared and the part from which the bluish nucleus had come, vanished. The upper part began to climb in a spiral, rapid and irregular, and finally vanished.

None of these movements affected the initial circular halo in any way, which remained just the same the whole time, its glow lighting up parts of the land and the ocean, from which we could deduce that the phenomenon was not very far away from us, but was close.”

Three minutes later, at 9:30 pm (21:30 hours), a phenomenon of similar characteristics was observed by witnesses in diverse points on the island of Gran Canaria. The heaviest reports came from residents in the villages of Galdar, Las Rosas and Agaete which involved a cross section of professions: medical doctor, schoolteacher, farmer, taxi driver and housewife, among others.

The most dramatic account:

The most sensational aspect was the experience of Doctor Francisco Julio Padron who was traveling in a taxi toward the town of Las Rosas where his patient lived. Dr. Padron and Mr. Damaso Dias Mendoza (the patient’s son) together with the cab driver, Julio Perdomo, were engaged in light conversation when suddenly, the car headlights pointed at a slightly luminous object which was either landed, or hovering just above the ground. The doctor, hardly believing his own eyes, asked for confirmation from his cab driver.

“Are you seeing what I’m seeing?” he asked.

The driver exclaimed, “My God! What is that?”

Upon closer examination, the doctor, Mr. Dias and the cab driver witnessed a large blue glowing transparent sphere with two tall entities inside. The doctor watched the sphere long enough to make a very detailed report on the anomalous object. He described the sphere as being 15 to 20 meters in diameter, with the lower part of the inside of the orb having a platform made of an aluminum-like material.

The two tall alien beings, were about two meters in height, and were on a platform manning the control center of the sphere, one on one side, one on the other. The aliens were wearing red colored clothes, and they always looked directly at each other while performing their duties. The beings were humanoid shaped, with heads disproportionately large for the rest of their bodies and wore a helmet.

The doctor was able to glean such a good description of the beings and the platform because the sphere was totally transparent. The cab was only a short distance from the patient’s house, and upon arriving, the doctor further observed a type of bluish smoke coming from a tube rising through the center of the object and could see stars through the sphere.

As he watched the enigmatic sphere, it began to grow larger and larger. The doctor ran into his patient’s house, and told the family about what he had seen. Running outside, they observed the orb, which was now extremely high in the sky. It reached an enormous speed, accelerating toward Tenerife. After reaching its ultimate size, it then dissolved into a small size before disappearing.

A neighbor, who lived near the doctor's patient, was watching television at the time, when the screen of her TV went blank, and her dogs began to bark loudly outside her home. She ran to a window to check on what the dogs were barking at, she saw the doctor's cab, and noticed that the sphere was transparent with two beings inside. Shocked, she closed the windows and doors, and began to pray.

Doctor Francisco Julio Padron, who lived in the city of Guia, was the most credible and the most voluminous witness of the entire investigation. His background was thoroughly investigated, and he was found to be an upstanding, sane professional, whose word was considered truthful.

Other witnesses and incidents.
The summary of the sightings is as follows:

1) At that same hour, at 9:30 pm (21:30 hrs.), in Boca-Barranco, an area north of the island, in Punta Galdar Bay, a married couple observed from the window of their home a light, similar to the headlight of a vehicle, that was heading towards them. It then increased in size to about 3 times the circumference of the moon. The object then disappeared slowly leaving behind a blue arch.

2) From the town of Agaete and at the same hour at 9:30 pm (21:30 hrs.), a teacher observed from his home a large white circular object, completely transparent since the stars could be seen through it. The object was three times the circumference of the moon. While flying almost over Tenerife, the bottom of the craft was seen to have two cross rays of equal thickness. The vision faded little by little.

3) About six miles northeast of the first sighting, a taxi driver was heading up towards Galdar mountain and saw a very large round object with light and fire on the bottom. The taxi’s client commented that it could be an aerial advertising blimp. However, the object gradually became blurred lasting for five minutes. The time in which the sighting was declared continues to be at 9:30 pm (21:30 hrs.).

4) On the same night and time, in the town of Galdar, a municipal policeman observed between the buildings a red object, like the tip of an arrow, cross the sky and later on he observed it stop over the village of Guimar, in Tenerife. The object already had a small intensive blue circle that grew until it diluted. The entire sighting lasted between 15 to 20 minutes.

5) Likewise in the Galdar-Gaeta highway, at the same time, a farmer observed a circular/parabolic light source with a row of whitish-orange color lights on the upper dome. The sighting lasted between 20 to 30 minutes and disappeared leaving behind a whitish lunar halo.

6) At 9:30 pm (21:30 hrs.), a day laborer from his home, from about 200 meters away from where doctor Padron had the sighting, saw a spot in the sky in the form of fire with two blue stripes and a circle-like lunar halo. The sighting lasted more than ten minutes.

7) A lady, a resident of a farm in Galdar, at 9:15 or 9:30 pm (21:15 or 21:30 hrs.), details that her television turned off and when looking out the window, she observed a large transparent blue ball and in the interior there were something like two figures, although she could not be sure. The orb grew to being the size of the town’s church.

8) At 9:45 pm (21:45 hrs.), at the Pozo de las Nieves, a security service sergeant in the V-8, saw appearing behind the island of Tenerife a circular object measuring approximately three moons. Rose about 45 degrees and disappeared. The duration of the sighting was approximately ten minutes.

9) These incidents were neither the first nor the last UFO reports investigated officially in the Canary Islands. On November 19, 1976, the Lieutenant General Carlos Dols de Espejo, of the Spanish air force on the Canary Islands, and his aides observed first-hand another large halo while flying on an Air Force T-12 transport plane. The crew of a Spanish Navy training ship and the personnel at the Gando Air Base also reported the phenomenon."

Detailed Investigation:

Three days after the sightings of June 22, 1976, the Commanding General of the Canary Island Air Zone named an “Investigative Adjutant” to make sense of the events. His findings were forwarded by a Spanish Air Force General to journalist J. J. Benitez in 1976, and the details of the case quickly reached beyond the scope of the Islands to the outside world. Benitez’s investigation would be the basis of his book, “UFOs: Official Documents of the Spanish Government.”

The investigation conducted by the “Investigator Adjutant”, revealed that there were no reports of “aerial traffic or military exercises at the time of which might account for the reports”. The Adjutant, for the sake of clarity, divided the investigation into two different categories:

One was the larger craft observed by ship crewmen and others, and the second the smaller globe with the aliens aboard. By his own admission, and consistent with human nature, the Adjutant had no problem believing the reports of the larger craft, but had reservations accepting the orb since occupants were observed which were not consistent with human beings. This was because he did not want an alien explanation for the sightings, but to imply that they were conventional aircraft.


Throughout the remainder of the year, various and sundry reports were made of similar objects over the Canary Islands. An official government report was released, but it was ambiguous at best. They accepted the reports of the UFOs as valid, but would not accept the alien presence. This was done to allow the possibility that the UFOs could be an unknown Air Force exercise. Giving credence to the reports of alien beings their existence would be unavoidable for the entire event, that would never be acceptable. The Canary Island alien sphere event is considered legitimate by many UFO researchers.


Post a Comment


Although there have been many unexplained sightings in the town of Lajas, the situation there has been hyped by the amount of lies and exaggeration by a group of so-called, "ufologists" who ignore other areas of Puerto Rico to promote tourism in Lajas. That was evident when my wife and my daughter confronted a terrifying experience in the town of Aguada with extraterrestrials and that group of charlatans refused our plea for help. Of course, if it happened in Lajas they would have jumped on the opportunity for fame and tourism for that town. Those hoaxes and lies were approved and sanctioned by the then mayor of that town who named route 303 "The extraterrestrial route". The idea of building an "UFOport" (ovnipuerto), “la llorona sightings" and the biggest hoax of them all, "that a UFO crashed there" all this could only be found in a science fiction novel.

By Nelson C. Rivera
Read more



UFO News

中文(简体) Português English (US) Français Deutsch Italiano 日本語 한국어 Русский Español

Subscribe to this blog via →

The dancing alien

The back of United States Quarters depicting Puerto Rico

About me

Ufologist, criminal investigator, musician, artist and writer.

I worked 20 years for the New York City Department of Correction. First as a Correction Officer for 4 years, Captain for 12 years, and as a Deputy Warden for 4 years. As a law enforcement officer and supervisor, I have conducted countless of criminal investigations, some for unimaginable allegations.

On June of 2005, after my retirement, I moved to Puerto Rico with my family where my wife and my daughter faced extraordinary experiences with extraterrestrials. These alien encounters, subsequent abductions of my wife and the lack of help from so-called, "ufologists" here on the island, prompted me to become involved in the field of ufology and in the need to help others who have had similar experiences.


PRUFON, Puerto Rico UFO Network, Inc., is a nonprofit organization which conducts serious no nonsense UFO investigations. Our aim is to find the truth and answers to some of the toughest questions pertaining to UFO sightings, alien encounters and alien abductions, etc. We are not affiliated with any other ufology organization in Puerto Rico or in the world. PRUFON was founded in the city of Aguadilla, Puerto Rico on September of 2009 to share with the public what we have accomplished and researched in the related fields of ufology.

This internet network ( offers a different perspective on life, and works hard to keep you informed about unexplained phenomena occurring on the island of Puerto Rico and in the Caribbean. We collect and gather information dealing with the Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs) and other unusual events that the mainstream news media and science fail to expose to the public, fail to study or acknowledge.

Any unusual encounter or sighting that you have had and wish an investigation and/or wish to publish it on this website, contact PRUFON at You will remain anonymous if you state it in writing.

back to top

Go up