Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Rendlesham Forest UFO Incident

Near two U.S. military bases reputedly holding the largest stockpile of tactical nuclear weapons in non-communist Europe, a UFO was spotted by a team of U.S. military personnel, hovering nearby in the forest. In 1980, the bases were among the largest, and most important in Europe, with over 12,000 personnel serving and protecting a significant nuclear arsenal. It was the height of the Cold War, with tensions between NATO and the Soviet Union at boiling point. Vigilance was not only necessary, it was imperative.

This event took place over three successive nights, (25th to 26th, 26th to 27th, and 27th to 28th) of December of 1980 in the area of Rendlesham Forest in Suffolk County, England. The bases, Bentwaters and Woodbridge, were owned by the RAF (Royal Air Force) and leased to the U.S. Air Force. This incident is notably dubbed, “Britain’s Roswell”.

26 December

At approximately 2:00a.m., on the 26th of December 1980, an unidentified object was picked up by radar at RAF Watton in Norfolk (UK). The object went off the screen in the area of Rendlesham Forest in Suffolk. The RAF and USAF at Bentwaters also tracked the unidentified object, being that Bentwaters was within Rendlesham Forest.

Around 3 a.m., the same night, strange lights were reported by two U.S.A.F. security patrol near the East Gate of Woodbridge Air Force Base. Servicemen initially thought it was a downed aircraft. Three servicemen were dispatched to investigate. Jim Penniston and John Burroughs went ahead with a driver and headed towards the mysterious lights.

When they could no longer maneuver the vehicle around the dense trees, Burroughs and Penniston left their jeep, and proceeded on foot. As they got closer to the lights, they noticed strong interference on their radios, felt an electrical charge in the air and noticed that the scene did not resembled a plane crash.

Suddenly they witnessed a triangular and brightly lit object silently hovering in the woods several feet off the ground. It was a conical metallic object, suspended in a yellow mist, hovering over a clearing in the trees, with a pulsating blue and red circle of light above. The patrol was shocked and frightened to see a saucer-like craft which seemed to be suspended from the bottom of the craft by a type of beam.

One of the men, Jim Pennington, made detailed notes of its features, touched its "warm", soft glass-like surface, and drew the numerous symbols he saw on its body into his notepad. He took several photographs, but Penniston believes that the photos were intentionally whited-out by the U.S. military.

There was another blinding flash and the men dove for cover. The craft lifted up out of the trees and sped away into the night sky. Penniston said that he had never seen an aircraft move as fast in his Air Force career.

Penniston claims to have seen triangular landing gear on the object leaving three impressions in the ground. The next day those imprints were still visible as well as burn marks and broken branches on nearby trees. Penniston made (the following day) plaster casts of the imprints which have been shown in television documentaries.

The airmen were debriefed, threatened and ordered to sign documents that vowed silence. One even claimed to have been forced to sign a document claiming the UFO was a lighthouse. Some reports suggest that they were reportedly ordered to stay quiet, and threatened with bodily harm by stating “bullets are cheap".

28 December

Two nights later the UFO returned and this time the Deputy Base Commander, Lieutenant Coronel Charles Halt got personally involved. On December 28, 1980, Lt. Col. Halt, was enjoying a relaxing evening at an officer’s Christmas party when one of his men arrived in an agitated state and reported to Halt that “It’s back!”

Halt was determined to put this nonsense to rest. His men were supposed to be protecting billions of dollars’ worth of military hardware, not chasing phantom lights through the trees. He organized a security detail and they headed out into the forest. On arriving, Halt found that a security cordon had been set in place and large, mobile units known as Light-Alls deployed, although they would not work properly for some reason.

Halt and 30 of his men headed into the trees, armed with a still camera, a Geiger counter, a night vision scope and Halt’s personal cassette recorder, upon which he captured one of the most amazing pieces of audio footage ever. Halt was certain that he could find a logical explanation for the UFO reports.

The Light-Alls refused to work, so they headed into the woods without the illumination afforded by the mobile units. They soon found that their radios became subject to the same interference that had plagued Burroughs and Penniston two nights previously. Halt saw that several trees had been damaged as though something large had moved through the forest, snapping off branches and scouring off bark as it went. He ordered for photographs to be taken. The Geiger counter began registering high levels of radiation on the sides of the trees that had been damaged, and the sides that faced the alleged landing site.

A glowing red light appeared in the trees. Halt described it as looking like an eye winking at them. It moved through the trees towards their position. Halt said that it looked like it was dripping what looked like molten metal. Then it moved out into the farmer’s field and hovered there for about twenty or thirty seconds before silently exploding into multiple white objects that sped away. On investigating the field, Halt’s men could find no evidence of burn marks or debris that might be left behind from what they had witnessed.

The object then reappeared, heading their way from the south and stopping overhead. It shone down what Halt described as a beam that was laser-like in its intensity. The laser-like light landed near their feet causing them to move back. Halt’s shock at what he is seeing. He recorded it and is clearly evident on the tape. The beam then goes out and the object moves on over the base, specifically, some said, the nuclear weapons storage area, and begins shining its beam down to the ground again. It was here that Halt’s recorder ran out of tape.

With the craft still hovering over the airfield, Halt decided that they should return to the base. At the entrance of the base, they were met by John Burroughs and Adrian Bustinza. Burroughs was concerned about Halt’s men, they seemed very shaken, he said. Then he saw a blue light in the field and pointed it out to the colonel. Halt gave him permission to check it out and he and Bustinza headed into the field, while Halt and his team went back to the base.

Burroughs and Bustinza ran towards the blue glow and just as they reached it, with Burroughs in the lead, it vanished. Bustinza told him that he had seen him enter the blue light and disappear. He could not believe it. Burroughs had more questions than answers.

These men were highly trained professionals, expert witnesses with many years of experience in most cases. The investigation that followed remains controversial twenty-five years later.

According to the airmen, they became involved, against their will, in a government cover-up. Penniston claimed that after the UFO encounter with Halt, things ‘began to get heavy’. Two weeks after the debriefings, Penniston said he was interrogated by high-ranking officials from the Office of Special Investigations (OSI). Penniston gave the OSI his statement and offered them the sketches he had made during his sighting. After this, Penniston cannot remember much about the interrogation, but he believes that he may have given consent for truth drugs such as sodium pentothal to be administered.

During the OSI’s investigation, in which more and more people were called in, Adrian Bustinza was questioned so aggressively that he refuses to speak publicly about the incident to this day. The ufologist and investigator, Georgina Bruni, says she has spoken with him, however, and he told her that the OSI forced him to agree, under the threat of death, that what he saw was the light from Orford Ness lighthouse. Other witnesses were also told to drop their stories about a UFO.

A short time later, Burroughs and Halt said that they saw activity going on in the forest, with personnel partaking in covert activities at the landing site. Halt’s and Penniston’s photographs came back from the processing lab completely fogged out. Penniston believes that the photos were intentionally whited-out.

Even Halt, the highest ranking eyewitness, believes he was kept out of the loop of the investigation. He was asked to type up a memo describing the incident. He did so, believing it would be shared with the British authorities. The memo was not meant to be a definitive account of the incident and Halt made several mistakes and omissions, but he assumed that it would create enough interest for a proper investigation to be started. But the memo was filed away.

Halt's memo:

Listen below to the actual  Lt. Colonel Charles Halt's audio recording: 


Post a Comment


Although there have been many unexplained sightings in the town of Lajas, the situation there has been hyped by the amount of lies and exaggeration by a group of so-called, "ufologists" who ignore other areas of Puerto Rico to promote tourism in Lajas. That was evident when my wife and my daughter confronted a terrifying experience in the town of Aguada with extraterrestrials and that group of charlatans refused our plea for help. Of course, if it happened in Lajas they would have jumped on the opportunity for fame and tourism for that town. Those hoaxes and lies were approved and sanctioned by the then mayor of that town who named route 303 "The extraterrestrial route". The idea of building an "UFOport" (ovnipuerto), “la llorona sightings" and the biggest hoax of them all, "that a UFO crashed there" all this could only be found in a science fiction novel.

By Nelson C. Rivera
Read more



UFO News

中文(简体) Português English (US) Français Deutsch Italiano 日本語 한국어 Русский Español

Subscribe to this blog via →

The dancing alien

The back of United States Quarters depicting Puerto Rico

About me

Ufologist, criminal investigator, musician, artist and writer.

I worked 20 years for the New York City Department of Correction. First as a Correction Officer for 4 years, Captain for 12 years, and as a Deputy Warden for 4 years. As a law enforcement officer and supervisor, I have conducted countless of criminal investigations, some for unimaginable allegations.

On June of 2005, after my retirement, I moved to Puerto Rico with my family where my wife and my daughter faced extraordinary experiences with extraterrestrials. These alien encounters, subsequent abductions of my wife and the lack of help from so-called, "ufologists" here on the island, prompted me to become involved in the field of ufology and in the need to help others who have had similar experiences.


PRUFON, Puerto Rico UFO Network, Inc., is a nonprofit organization which conducts serious no nonsense UFO investigations. Our aim is to find the truth and answers to some of the toughest questions pertaining to UFO sightings, alien encounters and alien abductions, etc. We are not affiliated with any other ufology organization in Puerto Rico or in the world. PRUFON was founded in the city of Aguadilla, Puerto Rico on September of 2009 to share with the public what we have accomplished and researched in the related fields of ufology.

This internet network (PRUFON.com) offers a different perspective on life, and works hard to keep you informed about unexplained phenomena occurring on the island of Puerto Rico and in the Caribbean. We collect and gather information dealing with the Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs) and other unusual events that the mainstream news media and science fail to expose to the public, fail to study or acknowledge.

Any unusual encounter or sighting that you have had and wish an investigation and/or wish to publish it on this website, contact PRUFON at prufon@gmail.com. You will remain anonymous if you state it in writing.

back to top

Go up